Less than a month to wait, Vivid 2019 is well in our sights.
Now in its 11th year, VIVID is one of the most popular festivals Sydney has on offer. From the stunning light shows to Music and ideas there is something for the whole family.
For 23 nights, from Friday 24 May to Saturday 15 June, Vivid Sydney will paint the Harbour City in the colour and spectacle of Vivid Light, take over Sydney stages with Vivid Music’s electric performances and collaborations, and provide a global forum for thought-provoking debate and creative discussion at Vivid Ideas.
This year, Los Angeles-based Andrew Thomas Huang has been entrusted with the Lighting of the iconic Opera House Sails. The Chinese American artist-filmmaker is admired as much for his sci-fi suffused art as for creating music videos for the likes of Björk, Sigur Rós and Thom Yorke in which bodies, objects and nature morph, intertwine and dispel in hallucinogenic fantasies.
Huang and Barcelo collaboration with dancer Genna Moroni generate fluid arabesques in direct response to the sensuous arcs and rhythms of Sydney Opera House. The result is a ‘ballet’ of psychedelic floral deities that bloom with human movement across the sails of the Sydney Opera House. Huang’s new piece underscores the connection between the human body, architecture and the natural world through the lens of Australia’s botanical treasures.
To view our Sydney Pub Accommodation > http://bit.ly/sydneyaccommodation
2019 Vivid Precincts illuminates Sydney’s skyline with Lights On! from 6pm each evening.
- Sydney Opera House will play host to a number of key events during Vivid Sydney. Lighting of the Sails transforms the Opera House into a moving, multi-coloured canvas on each night of the festival.
- Darling Harbour For Vivid Sydney 2019, Darling Harbour has a space-age reboot with Light, Music and Ideas to entertain and inspire visitors of all ages and abilities. Activate a brighter future where sentient robots help us regenerate the Earth and make life on other planets of our galaxy possible.
- Taronga Zoo You’re in for a wild night at Vivid Taronga. Meet a star-spangled Asian Elephant, a radiant Sumatran Tiger, the iridescent Marine Turtle and a cast of technicolour creatures – that glow and move. Opening from 5:30pm, Lights for the Wild is ideal for families, children and all animal lovers.
- Luna Park dazzles after dark. Get airborne in the new family thriller Volaré. Admire the views from the light-laced Ferris Wheel. Once adrenaline fuels your appetite, Luna Park has foodie options to satisfy all palates and budgets. Head to the street stalls or savour a fine-dining experience at Altum where you can enjoy views across the water to the lights on Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Sydney Opera House and Circular Quay.
- Vivid Sydney at Chatswood is a family favourite. The Concourse will be transformed with cutting-edge 3D projection mapping artwork. Local and international artists light up a cityscape radiating peace and harmony.
- Vivid Sydney at Barangaroo is a feast for the senses where Exchange Place becomes a wondrous Winter Camp.
- The Botanical Gardens Sydney step into an enchanted forest. Weave your way through the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney for close encounters with illuminated artworks that reflect and refract both light and nature.
- Customs House, MCA, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Cadmans Cottage, EORA:Broken spear are all areas that will be lit up this year. Discover Sydney’s rich ancestral heritage as well as local and international artists.
Vivid Music Highlights
- Carriageworks – Features internationally acclaimed songwriter, director and dancer, FKA twigs will perform for one night only. Catch Rufus Du Sol as well as Curve Ball, the warehouse party of they year returns to the Carriageworks for its fourth year including performances from Haydne James, Mallrat, Touch Sensitive and Set Mo.
- The City Recital Hall will feature Australia’s Pop-darling Kate Miller-Heidke and composer Iain Grandage as well as Paul Kelly with James Ledger, Alice Keath and Seraphim Trio.
- Vivid LIVE at the Sydney Opera House hosts a stellar line-up of musicians including Maggie Rogers, Underworld, Herbie Hancock and The Cure to name just a few.
- Vivid LIVE at The Concourse Concert Hall, Chatswood you can catch Vince Jones an Iconic Australian Jazz musician as well as legendary Grammy winning singer Lisa Fischer and her band.
- Vivid Live at Darling Harbour will feature vairous Kiddo Disco’s especially for 2 – 12 year olds and the young at heart.
Vivid Ideas Highlights
Vivid Ideas brings together leading thinkers, creators and innovators to share their insights across tech, design, entertainment and culture. Explore the meaning of love, loneliness and belonging in our fast-paced, ever-connected lives. Come up with new ways of thinking and maybe even try a new way of being.
- Game changer: Esther Perel, On love in the digital age – Renowned psychotherapist Esther Perel is one of the world’s most listened to and respected authorities on modern love and resolving conflict. Esther’s ground-breaking podcast Where Should We Begin?, allows audiences to tune in to recordings of couples in counselling, an act of intimacy and generosity that has earned her innumerable fans around the globe.
- Game changer: Spike Lee, On films, politics and race – Spanning a 40 year career, Spike’s films are a potent cocktail of racial tension, urban violence and controversy sparked with comedy. As an oeuvre, they make as much of a contribution to politics as to pop culture.
- Semi Permanent 2019 is back again including speakers such as Michael Gough, VP of Design at Uber; Alma Har’el, the noted director behind the influential Free the Bid initiative; Tom Armstrong, VP of advertising at APAC New York Times and many more.
- The Sydney Film Festival 2019 Australia’s premier international film festival is back for 12 days and nights with the world’s best new films. In 2019, Sydney Film Festival celebrates 66 years of the greatest, strangest and most exciting work that cinema has to offer.
And so much more to explore here, take a look at the Vivid Sydney site to work out what interests you most https://www.vividsydney.com/
For a fabulous peek into the what to expect, have a look at this video